Born Hatch Street, Dublin. 1945
Grew up beside the River Dargle in Co. Wicklow.
Educated in England from the age of 7 , (Ludgrove School, Winchester College)
Awarded a 2 year scholarship to study Textile Design at the State School of Art, Konstfackskolan, in Stockholm. Returned prematurely in 1964 to concentrate on painting. Largely self-taught as a painter. Exhibiting professionally since 1964
Moved to Allihies on the Beara Peninsula, Co. Cork where he has lived and worked since 1968.
• 2015 'Patching the Void', Doswell Gallery, Rosscarberry, Co Cork. April.
2015 'Patching the Void', Taylor Galleries, Dublin. February
2012 'Clouds', Taylor Galleries, Dublin
• 2011 'Clouds' Catherine Hammond Gallery, Glengarriff. June
• 2008 Taylor Galleries, Dublin. September/October.
2007 Catherine Hammond Gallery, Glengarriff. June
Norman Gallery, Co Wexford. July
2006 Vangard Gallery, Cork City.
• 2005 OS/B Gallery, Enniskerry, Co Wicklow.
• 2003 Eigse Arts Festival, Carlow.
• 2000 Vangard Gallery, Cork City, Ireland
• 1999 West Cork Chamber Music Festival, Bantry House, Co. Cork, Ireland
• 1998 Lavit Gallery, Cork City, Ireland
• 1996 Rubicon Gallery, Dublin, Ireland
• 1994 Rubicon Gallery, Dublin, Ireland
• 1991 Crawford Municipal Art Gallery, Cork City, Ireland. [5 yr retrospective]
• 1991 Carrol Gallery, Longford, Ireland
• 1990 Galeria Moira, Lisbon, Portugal
• 1990 Carega Foxley Leach Gallery, Washington State, USA
• 1989 Kerlin Gallery, Dublin, Ireland
• 1988 Carega Gallery, Washington D.C, USA
• 1987-84-82-79 Hendriks Gallery, Dublin, Ireland
• 1978 Mannheim, Germany
• 1977 Chastenet European Arts Centre, London, England
• 1975 Octagon Gallery, Belfast, Northern Ireland
• 1974 Hendriks Gallery, Dublin, Ireland
• 1972 Cork Arts Society, Cork City, Ireland
• 1969 Hendriks Gallery, Dublin, Ireland
SELECTED GROUP SHOWS:
2015 EIGSE, Visual, Carlow
2014 EIGSE, Visual, Carlow
Doswell Gallery, Rosscarberry, Co Cork
Catherine Hammond Gallery, Glengarriff, Co Cork
2013 Catherine Hammond Gallery, Glengarriff, Co Cork
RHA, Annual Show, Dublin
Doswell Gallery, Rosscarberry, Co Cork. Summer Show
Taylor Galleries, Dublin. Summer Show
'50 Years On', Lavit Gallery, Cork City. Feb-March
Taylor Galleries, Dublin. New Year Show
2012 RHA, Annual Show, Dublin
'Into The Light'. Arts Council Show, Limerick
2008 Christmas Shows, Vangard Gallery, Cork + Taylor Galleries, Dublin.
'Revelation', National Gallery, Dublin.
Eigse 2008, Carlow
Bridget Flannery Selection, Lavit Gallery, Cork.
2007 (c)artography, Crawford Gallery, Cork
''Our Fragile Earth', Iniscealta Festival of the Arts, Mountshannon, Co Clare
2 person show, Mc Bride Gallery, Killarney. November. (with Helen Comerford)
• 2006 Taylor Galleries, Christmas show
Beckett show, Vangard Christmas show
Visiting Artists Show, Graphic Studio Dublin.
Royal Ulster Academy at Boyle. Invited artist.
Mc Bride Gallery, Killarney
Royal Hibernian Academy, Dublin, Ireland
• 2005 Boyle Arts Festival
Gallery Artists, Christmas, Taylor Gallery, Dublin
Summer Show, Taylor Gallery, Dublin
C2, Contemporary Art From Cork, Crawford Gallery, Cork
"Outside In", Lavit Gallery Cork. (5 artists)
• 2004 Mermaid Arts Centre, Bray, Co Wicklow. (with Sahoko Blake)
• 2000 Royal Hibernian Academy, Dublin, Ireland
• 1999 Nelson Rovzar Gallery, Seattle, Washington State, USA
• 1998 IONTAS, Sligo, Ireland
• 1997 Claremorris Open, Co Clare, Ireland. 1st Prize for Painting
o Claremorris open
o R.H.A Banquet Show, Dublin, Ireland
o IONTAS, Dublin and Sligo, Ireland
o Cork-Cracow, Ireland and Poland
o IONTAS, Sligo and Dublin…Winner of Painting Prize
o R.H.A, Dublin
• 1993 "Aspects of Irish Painting", IMMA Dublin, Ireland
• 1992 IONTAS, Sligo, Ireland
o "The Great Book of Ireland", IMMA Dublin, Ireland,
o Galeria Moira, Lisbon, Portugal
o "Landscapes, American and European Perspectives", Carega Gallery, Washington D.C, USA
o Living Landscape, Skibereen, Co Cork, Ireland
o Kerlin Gallery, Dublin, Ireland
o Art Advice, New York, USA
• 1996 "The Artist and The Bomb", Dublin, Ireland
• 1981 Gallery Madison 90, New York, USA
• 1980 "Sense of Ireland", London, England
• 1977-78 "Realism Now", Arts Council Touring Exhibition.
• 1974 "Irish Directions" Belfast, Dublin, New York
• 1973 "Aos Og", [Young Irish Artists] Paris, France and Dublin, Ireland
• 1972 "The Irish Imagination", Dublin, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., USA
• 1970 "The Irish ", Oxford Gallery, Oxford, England
• 1977 Cagnes-sur-Mer International Art Festival, South of France
• 1971 Paris Biennale, Paris, France
• 1970 "Young Artists from around the World", New York
SELECTED PUBLIC COLLECTIONS:
The Arts Council of Ireland
The Arts Council of Northern Ireland
IMMA, Kilmainham, Dublin, Ireland
Ashmolean Library, Oxford, UK
The Crawford Gallery, Cork City.
The Ulster Museum
Dept. of Arts Culture and The Gaeltacht
Office of Public Works
Corporate collection of Aldi Stores Ltd, Munster Regional Office.
Dept. of Foreign Affairs
Irish Aviation Authority
Trinity College, Dublin
University College, Dublin
Municipal Gallery, Dublin
Bank of Ireland
Investment Bank of Ireland
Carroll Collections, Dundalk
G.P.A., Co Limerick
Short Bros. Washington D.C. USA
University of Limerick
National Self-Portrait Collection, Limerick University
Conrad Hilton Hotel,Dublin
Dundalk Institute of Technology, DKIT
Represented in private collections in Ireland, England , Continental Europe, USA and Canada.
Richard Harris collection, Bahamas.
Bono, U2, Dublin.
SELECTED BIOGRAPHICAL REFERENCES:
'Into The Light', Arts Council, 2012
'Floating World', Dr Julian Campbell, Taylor Galleries, 2008
(c)artography, Crawford Gallery publications,2007
Contemporary Art from Cork, C2, Crawford Gallery publications,2005
In Profile, Cork Examiner August 5th 2000, Anita Whooley
World of Hibernia, Winter 2000, Aidan Dunne
Enter, CD ROM Magazine. Volume 11. Video interview. December 2000
"The Celtic Quest", Welcome Publishing, New York,1998 [ An anthology of Celtic Mythology from Merlin to Van Morrison ]
Time Out, Cork Examiner Weekend, 11th April 1988, Allanah Hopkin
"Modern Art in Ireland", Dorothy Walker,1997
"A Concise History of Irish Art", Bruce Arnold
"Contemporary Irish Art" , Roderick Knowles
"Irish Art from 1960 to the present day", Ann Crookshank
"The Irish Imagination", Christopher Fitzsimons